Business Development Officer
(Mortgage Loan Originator)
Monroe County, NY
About the Role
The purpose of this position is to originate first mortgage for real estate loans for in-house and secondary markets. Set up loans to be processed and underwritten. Assume certain administrative duties as assigned by the senior management team. Solicit residential first mortgages through contacts with realtors, builders and developers, as well as through leveraging of internal lines of business. Negotiate terms and conditions of loan with mortgagors. Call on potential or existing customers as assigned to develop new business or retain existing business.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Originates real estate loans. Pre-qualifies customers for loans by interviewing the applicants to obtain biographical and financial information. Focuses on originating loans within our designated assessment area.
- Will be required to successfully register with Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System Registry (NMLS) and obtain unique identifier through the registry that is provided to consumers in accordance with all SAFE Act requirements. In addition, must successfully renew registration with NMLS annually. Maintains and updates personal registry information as necessary to include name changes, employment changes, etc.
- Reviews loan in process and determines their status.
- Reviews supporting incoming exhibits, credit reports, appraisals, etc.
- Pre-underwrites loans by matching information on the application with the requested data. Reviews the credit report and income documentation by following program guidelines and loan policy.
- Maintains professional relationships with real estate affiliates and participates in selected community activities to increase the visibility. Develops new business opportunities in addition to furthering his/her personal development. Demonstrates a working knowledge of secondary market guidelines and products as related to mortgage lending his/her personal development.
- Explains and cross sells various bank services available (e.g., checking, savings, insurance, investment, automatic loan payments, etc.) to customers. Meets all goals and objectives regarding all of the above.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of secondary market guidelines and products as related to mortgage lending.
- Updates product knowledge of secondary market guidelines and products as related to mortgage lending.
- Participates in all required training. This may include seminars, meetings, videos, etc. in areas including but not limited to, orientation, product knowledge, technological/computer, regulatory/compliance, and interpersonal/supervisory training.
- Actively participates in determining an individual training and development plan each year via the organization’s Performance Planning and Appraisal process. Follows this plan diligently as resources are available.
- Responsible for compliance with regulations including but not limited to Anti-Money Laundering, U.S. PATRIOT Act, Bank Secrecy Act, OFAC, Fraud Protection, Security Procedures, and Privacy/Confidentiality requirements.
Requirements of Position:
Educational Requirements: Preferred bachelor's degree or equivalent related experience.
- 4-5 years of loan origination experience.
- NMLS Registration.
- Must possess the ability to deal with customers in a professional manner.
- Must be well organized and able to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Possess good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Demonstration of strong customer
- Sales & Service skills
- Desire – Commitment – Positive Attitude
- Passion to provide solutions to customers
- Attention to detail