Consumer Loan & Residential Mortgage Underwriter
Seneca Falls, NY
About the Role
Underwrites and credit decisions the bank’s consumer loans, purchase loans, and home equity loans & lines of credit products. Maintains a sound portfolio risk profile by employing bank, regulatory and credit policy underwriting practices. Act as a backup Residential Mortgage Underwriter.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews direct consumer loans, purchase loans and home equity loans & lines of credit applications packages for completeness and adherence to bank requirements prior to underwriting.
- Underwrites and credit decision requests according to bank established criteria rendering a credit decision, as well as all regulatory, third part agency/investor and bank requirements. Communicates the credit decision to applicable bank personnel or agency/investor personnel. Ensures proper approval level is obtained.
- Maintains complete compliance for governing regulatory requirements such as; Fair Lending, Regulation Z, TRID, Reg B and other applicable disclosures and requirements. Also, responsible for compliance with regulations including, but not limited to, Anti-Money Laundering, U.S. PATRIOT Act, Bank Secrecy Act, OFAC, Fraud Protection, Security Procedures, and Privacy/Confidentiality requirements.
- Assist in addressing findings from internal compliance, audit and outside audit and regulatory parties.
- As assigned, manages and reconciles assigned general ledger accounts, prepares and provide management reports.
- For approvals, declinations, withdrawals and counter offers, ensures applicable data is entered into systems for tracking and regulatory purposes. Prepares applicable Regulation B letters, declination letters and/ or counter offer letters and returns to processor for handling when applicable.
- Handles other credit requests, such as, student loans.
- As needed, underwrites and credit decisions residential mortgages applications.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Educational Requirements: Two year degree in a related field; or equivalent work experience.
- Experience Required: A minimum of two years of consumer loan underwriting experience with credit authority.
- Proficient PC skills including, Microsoft suite and the ability to learn other bank systems and software applications.
- Must possess leadership capabilities and a willingness to accept responsibility.
- Strong ability to interpret and extract pertinent insights from submitted applications and documentation.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, written and oral communication skills. Possess the ability to communicate professionally with all levels of employees, staff, management, vendors and customers/prospects.
- Detail-oriented and efficient, with strong organizational and time management skills, ability to multi-task and manage deadlines
- Contribute to building a positive company spirit, display passion and optimism, inspire respect and trust, and uphold the company values.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.